BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-01-21 17:12:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 09:11:35 +1100
On 22/01/16 04:43, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
> <gandalf.corvotempesta AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>>> V4 does it backwards from v3.   The last backup is always filled and
>>> the older ones are changed to reverse deltas.  It must move/copy
>>> things around to arrange that.   And the full and incremental runs
>>> aren't tied to keeping filled/unfilled backups anymore.  But, I still
>>> don't see why any expired already.
>> Another this to know is why BPC is fsck every backups every time.
>> After each backup, it will run fsck. It should run just for the last
>> executed backup, as previously ones was alreday checked.
>>
>> But is running fsck every time for each backup that I have, taking
>> many many hours. Like now:
>> srv1 is fsck #1, then #2, then #4. after all, it will run a new backup
>> and start again the fsck
>>
> I see some earlier mail list messages saying that is normal:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/backuppc/mailman/message/34478542/
> I guess that's when it removes files that are not in any current
> backup.  Apparently it only takes a long time when you have a very
> large number of files.

Yes, it is "normal" but it doesn't seem to be ideal, and I don't think
it should be required. I started looking at this, but then got side
tracked with the more serious bug in rsync_bpc. Will eventually come
back to this, but it means trying to understand the underlying
principles of how BPC works on the pool and pc trees.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au