BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-01-21 12:43:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 11:43:07 -0600
On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Gandalf Corvotempesta
<gandalf.corvotempesta AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>> V4 does it backwards from v3.   The last backup is always filled and
>> the older ones are changed to reverse deltas.  It must move/copy
>> things around to arrange that.   And the full and incremental runs
>> aren't tied to keeping filled/unfilled backups anymore.  But, I still
>> don't see why any expired already.
>
> Another this to know is why BPC is fsck every backups every time.
> After each backup, it will run fsck. It should run just for the last
> executed backup, as previously ones was alreday checked.
>
> But is running fsck every time for each backup that I have, taking
> many many hours. Like now:
> srv1 is fsck #1, then #2, then #4. after all, it will run a new backup
> and start again the fsck

I see some earlier mail list messages saying that is normal:
http://sourceforge.net/p/backuppc/mailman/message/34478542/
I guess that's when it removes files that are not in any current
backup.  Apparently it only takes a long time when you have a very
large number of files.