BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-01-17 20:53:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 12:52:19 +1100
On 16/01/16 23:04, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
> websitemanagers.com DOT au>:
>> I would suggest anyone considering BPC should use v3 unless they
>> specifically need the v4 features, and even then, are prepared for the
>> possible shortcomings inherent in using alpha software.
> I can't use v3 because i'm having servers with millions of file to be
> transfered and v3 takes ages in "Building files list".
> v4 uses native rsync and incremental file list. This is faster,
> transfer start immediatly, not after many many hours.
>
> BTW, 1 server was backuped properly, now is running "fsck #0". As I
> understood from docs, BackupPC should not run when
> fsck in running. I'm having a full dump of srv1, and srv2 that is
> doing "fsck #0". Is this bad or fsck can be run parallel with other
> backups?

AFAIK, when you see fsck #0 on the web interface, it is actually doing a
refCountUpdate, which just updates the current host, therefore it
doesn't matter if other hosts are running a concurrent backup.

> Usually how long does it take to complete? this is slowing down the
> other backup that seems to be frozen.

This is dependant on the number of files in the backup, and especially,
your disk I/O performance. You will probably want to think about RAID10
or similar for your backup server in order to massively improve
performance (or use bigger caches, either hardware raid cache, or allow
linux to cache more). Equally, your filesystem might need tuning, or
changing to a different FS might help too.

Running multiple concurrent backups might be slower than running one at
a time, depending on the speed of the client, and the performance of
your BPC server. Remember, the disk can only read or write from one
sector at a time, and random performance is significantly worse.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au