BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] web GUI downloading BIN file Ubuntu 14.04

2014-11-08 11:41:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] web GUI downloading BIN file Ubuntu 14.04
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2014 10:40:23 -0600
On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote on 2014-11-07 09:54:01 -0500 [Re:
> [BackupPC-users] web GUI downloading BIN file Ubuntu 14.04]:
>> On 11/07 12:20 , Tom Fallon wrote:
>> > The problem appears to be one of PEBKAC :( I tried accessing the GUI on
>> > another browser and it's fine. My (normally reliable) Firefox install
>> > appears to be the culprit not the backuppc installation as I can access
>> > in Chromium absolutely fine. Should really have tried that first....
>> >
>> > So sorry to trouble everyone with a non-issue however hopefully my
>> > admission of stupidity here may help someone else with the same problem
>> > from making the same mistake as I did....
>>
>> well, that's different.
>> Thanks for the update at least!
>
> while I'm no web server configuration guru, to me, this actually does sound
> like a web server configuration issue as the root cause (or possibly the CGI
> that generates the page, though I suspect we'd have heard of the problem
> frequently before). Something like an incorrect MIME type that Chromium
> handles differently than Firefox, an incorrect character encoding, an
> incorrect or missing HTTP header field, strange characters in the generated
> page ...

Maybe firefox has cached the static script file contents from a
previous misconfiguration and isn't even requesting it again now that
the issue is fixed.  I'd try a 'clear cache' or using the same browser
from another machine.   In any case the apache log file entry might be
interesting if you can still get it to return the script text instead
of executing it.