BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Empty Directories with Win7

2014-08-21 11:28:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Empty Directories with Win7
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:27:07 -0500
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 8:47 AM, Michael Stowe
<mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org> wrote:

> There's definitely something funny going on.
>
> Before I stopped using SMB, I can confirm that its behavior was more as
> expected -- I would get errors on open files, the errors would show up in
> the logs, and open files would not cause it to abort (of course, it
> wouldn't be able to back them up.)  Also, for what it's worth, those
> excludes look fine.
>
> Perhaps something is different in your installation of smbclient than what
> BackupPC expects?  I'd start there.

One thing that might not be obvious is that smbclient reads your
/etc/samba/smb.conf file where you may have settings intended for the
server side of samba.   I can't think of any settings that would cause
this behavior, but it is something to be aware of when debugging.