BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Empty Directories with Win7

2014-08-21 09:48:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Empty Directories with Win7
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: cvoelker AT knebb DOT de, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 08:47:51 -0500
> Hi all,
>
>>> SMB can't back up open files (unless you're doing something exotic, I
>>> suppose -- so you *should* be seeing errors whenever it comes across a
>>> locked file, unless you've specifically excluded them.
>> Indeed, that strange. As I usually don't change any log settings it is
>> even more strange.
>>
>> I verified log settings and set $Conf{XferLogLevel}  now to 3 (was at
>> 1).
>> Additionally I increased the smbclient debugging. Which is configured to
>> write to stderr (-E) with -d 5 (was at 1).
> Ok, increasing smbclient debugging was not a good idea. After some
> googling I had to realize BackupPC counts every output of smbclient as
> an error- so it aborted after 50,001 entries:
>
> 2014-08-21 14:33:55 Backup aborted (Too many smbtar errors (50001))
>
> Set debuglevel now back to 1 and it's running, but behavious hasn't
> changed at all.
>
> I ran the command (as far as I could get the correct command line
> parameters from "top" manually and it stopped indeed at hiberfil.sys:
> smbclient //laptop/C "xxxxxxxx" -U backuppc -E -d 1 -c tarmode full -TcrX
> - hiberfil.sys >/laptop.tar
> [...]
> NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION opening remote file \hiberfil.sys (\)
> NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION listing \\*
> tar: dumped 1331 files and directories
> Total bytes written: 3735927808
>
> Appears it doesn't recognize my exclude entries.
>
> So as a in between summary:
> -smbclient stops when it reaches an open file
> -BackupPC (at least 3.2.1) does not recon this error and assumes it backed
> up successfully
> -Increasing debuglevel on smbclient is not a good idea
>
> Remaining questions:
> -is there any way to tell smbclient to SKIP open files instead of
> aborting?
> -Why does BackupPC not recon the error state of smbclient?
>
> Additionally: How do I configure excludes to be properly reconned by
> BackupPC/ smbclient?
> This is how my pc.pl looks like currently:
> $Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'laptop.domain.com';
> $Conf{SmbSharePasswd} = 'xxxxxxxxxxx';
> $Conf{SmbShareUserName} = 'backuppc';
> $Conf{XferMethod} = 'smb';
> $Conf{SmbShareName} = [
>   'C'
> ];
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>   '*' => [
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Cookies',
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temp',
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/NTUSER.DAT*',
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/ntuser.dat*',
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
> Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat*',
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
> Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/Cache',
>     '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
> Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/OfflineCache',
> [...]

There's definitely something funny going on.

Before I stopped using SMB, I can confirm that its behavior was more as
expected -- I would get errors on open files, the errors would show up in
the logs, and open files would not cause it to abort (of course, it
wouldn't be able to back them up.)  Also, for what it's worth, those
excludes look fine.

Perhaps something is different in your installation of smbclient than what
BackupPC expects?  I'd start there.