BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Empty Directories with Win7

2014-08-21 09:17:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Empty Directories with Win7
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:15:48 +0200
Hi all,

>> SMB can't back up open files (unless you're doing something exotic, I
>> suppose -- so you *should* be seeing errors whenever it comes across a
>> locked file, unless you've specifically excluded them.
> Indeed, that strange. As I usually don't change any log settings it is
> even more strange.
>
> I verified log settings and set $Conf{XferLogLevel}  now to 3 (was at 1).
> Additionally I increased the smbclient debugging. Which is configured to
> write to stderr (-E) with -d 5 (was at 1).
Ok, increasing smbclient debugging was not a good idea. After some
googling I had to realize BackupPC counts every output of smbclient as
an error- so it aborted after 50,001 entries:

2014-08-21 14:33:55 Backup aborted (Too many smbtar errors (50001))

Set debuglevel now back to 1 and it's running, but behavious hasn't changed at
all.

I ran the command (as far as I could get the correct command line parameters
from "top" manually and it stopped indeed at hiberfil.sys:
smbclient //laptop/C "xxxxxxxx" -U backuppc -E -d 1 -c tarmode full -TcrX -
hiberfil.sys >/laptop.tar
[...]
NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION opening remote file \hiberfil.sys (\)
NT_STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION listing \\*
tar: dumped 1331 files and directories
Total bytes written: 3735927808

Appears it doesn't recognize my exclude entries.

So as a in between summary:
-smbclient stops when it reaches an open file
-BackupPC (at least 3.2.1) does not recon this error and assumes it backed up
successfully
-Increasing debuglevel on smbclient is not a good idea

Remaining questions:
-is there any way to tell smbclient to SKIP open files instead of aborting?
-Why does BackupPC not recon the error state of smbclient?

Additionally: How do I configure excludes to be properly reconned by BackupPC/
smbclient?
This is how my pc.pl looks like currently:
$Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'laptop.domain.com';
$Conf{SmbSharePasswd} = 'xxxxxxxxxxx';
$Conf{SmbShareUserName} = 'backuppc';
$Conf{XferMethod} = 'smb';
$Conf{SmbShareName} = [
  'C'
];
$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
  '*' => [
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Cookies',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Temp',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/NTUSER.DAT*',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/ntuser.dat*',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Microsoft/Windows/UsrClass.dat*',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/Cache',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Local Settings/Application
Data/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/*/OfflineCache',
    '/Documents and Settings/*/Recent',
    '*.lock',
    'Thumbs.db',
    'IconCache.db',
    'Cache*',
    'cache*',
    'hiberfil.sys',
    'pagefile.sys',
    ''
  ]
};

$Conf{XferLogLevel} = 3;

hiberfil.sys is not reconned as "exclude" as it tries to backup anyways. So
what syntax is to be used correctly?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Christian