BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BUG (IMHO): BackupPC_Dump on QNAP QTS 4.1

2014-06-30 10:26:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BUG (IMHO): BackupPC_Dump on QNAP QTS 4.1
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Paolo Basenghi <paolo.basenghi AT fcr.re DOT it>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 16:25:53 +0200
Hi,

Paolo Basenghi wrote on 2014-06-29 12:12:31 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] BUG
(IMHO): BackupPC_Dump on QNAP QTS 4.1]:
> Il 29/06/2014 03.02, Les Mikesell ha scritto:
> >Smbclient will default to reading smb.conf from the standard location,
> >but you could override that by adding '-s /path/to/your/smb.conf' to
> >the SmbClient related commands.
> This can be a good idea. Thank you.

note that, depending on your configuration, BackupPC might try to do an
nmblookup - even for rsync backups.

> >I'm missing something here. [...]
>
> As you can view in the log I attached in my original post, BackupPC_Dump
> produces the warning at every step.

Yes, that is strange. If it were only the 'ssh' commands, I'd say something in
some rc script (.profile, .bashrc, .bash_profile ...) on the target host
produces that output. If the commands were executed by a shell, I'd say the
local shell configuration is at fault. But they aren't. Unless some strange
QNAP kernel or Perl modification redirects exec() through a shell ... or
/opt/bin/sudo and /opt/bin/ssh are shell scripts ...
Hmm. '/opt/bin/sudo -u admin /bin/ping -c 1 -w 3 afrodite' probably *does*
involve a shell (invoked by sudo).

Two things you could try:
1. Change the PingCmd to /bin/true
2. Change the PingCmd:   $Conf {PingCmd} = '&{sub {0}}';

The first still does an exec(), but of a single very simple command with
full path, without parameters and anything that could resemble shell
metacharacters. In particular, /bin/true is unlikely to be patched in a
strange way ;-).

The second does not do an exec() at all.

Do either get rid of the output in the PingCmd case?

Do you have shell access to the device? Can you run something like

        % ssh -q -x -l root afrodite /bin/true

or the quoted 'sudo ping' command (as the backuppc user)? Do you get *any*
output?

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger