BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Help before giving up on BackupPC

2014-05-14 20:48:55
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Help before giving up on BackupPC
From: Marco Nicolayevsky <marco AT specialtyvalvegroup DOT com>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 00:47:24 +0000

Hello all,

I am using a pretty vanilla installation of BackupPC and love the simplicity and fact that it just works as it’s supposed to.

My problem arises when trying to back up windows clients over rsyncd.

I have 3 win boxes, all running Win7 and the rsncd server. Functionally, they perform fine. I’m able to backup, restore, etc. My initial tests were with small folders and not the entire drive.

HOWEVER… each win box has somewhere between 20GB and 3TB of data, and despite being on wired gigabit Ethernet, the 3TB machine ran for over 8 days and still wasn’t done before I pulled the plug and called it quits. Backing up 3TB over gig-e should be able to be accomplished in under 1 day, so I’m at a loss of what to do next.

Is rsync “really” that slow? Am I doing something wrong? Is it limited to just the windows client? When I was evaluating Bacula, I was able to do the same backup in 1/10th the time (or at least it felt that way since I don’t have hard numbers).

Before giving up on BackupPC and considering an alternative, can someone give me some advice?

If it helps, the server is beefy, quad-core i5 proc w/ 4gb ram and 6TB raid5.

Thanks,

Marco