BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Help before giving up on BackupPC

2014-05-15 12:08:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Help before giving up on BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 11:06:32 -0500
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
wrote:

> That could be related to the number of files:  that's an area where rsync can
> get tripped up.  As you can see, I've got >1 million files, so the definition
> of "too many" is pretty big.  But if you had, say, 10M files, maybe that's an
> issue to consider.

In addition to very large numbers of small files having some overhead
(rsync will load the whole directory tree at both ends before starting
to walk for the comparison), there is also a considerable amount of
server-side work in the case of large files with changes.  The server
has to uncompress the previous version to copy it while merging in the
new changes.

Also note that if you use the checksum-seed option, the 3rd full
backup will be faster than the 2nd since the server won't have to
uncompress the matching unchanged files for comparison.