BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Help before giving up on BackupPC

2014-05-15 11:34:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Help before giving up on BackupPC
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 11:20:04 -0400
Marco Nicolayevsky <marco AT specialtyvalvegroup DOT com> wrote on 05/14/2014 08:47:24 PM:

> Hello all,

> I am using a pretty vanilla installation of BackupPC and love the
> simplicity and fact that it just works as it’s supposed to.

> My problem arises when trying to back up windows clients over rsyncd.
>
> I have 3 win boxes, all running Win7 and the rsncd server.
> Functionally, they perform fine. I’m able to backup, restore, etc.
> My initial tests were with small folders and not the entire drive.

> HOWEVER… each win box has somewhere between 20GB and 3TB of data,
> and despite being on wired gigabit Ethernet, the 3TB machine ran for
> over 8 days and still wasn’t done before I pulled the plug and
> called it quits. Backing up 3TB over gig-e should be able to be
> accomplished in under 1 day, so I’m at a loss of what to do next.

Here are some hard numbers for one of my systems.  All targets Windows-based, using rsyncd, no SSH, no encryption, no compression.  Servers are using 7200RPM SATA drives.

Full size:  1372GB, 1114587 files.  Time to complete:  1175.3 minutes.
(Intel Xeon E5 CPU, 16GB RAM, 6-drive Software RAID-6)

Full size:  627GB, 452759 files.  Time to complete:  682.4 minutes.
(Intel Atom D610 (really slow) CPU, 4GB RAM, 5-drive Software RAID-6)

Now, these are established backups.  I've found that initial backups can be 2-3 times as long.  And at 3TB, you're nearly triple of the bigger one.  So, that could mean that the initial backup can take 6000 minutes or more, or four days.  And personally, I've found that compression can double or triple the time again.  Worst-case of all of that could be two weeks!  So it is possible that you're seeing correct operation for that first backup, and that future backups should be much better.

Also, those are fulls.  Incrementals take 4 hours and 1 hour, respectively.

> Is rsync “really” that slow?

No:  rsync is only going to be marginally slower than a non-rsync copy, even on the first time, assuming you're not limited by something else (CPU or RAM) that would not be a limit for a normal copy.

That could be related to the number of files:  that's an area where rsync can get tripped up.  As you can see, I've got >1 million files, so the definition of "too many" is pretty big.  But if you had, say, 10M files, maybe that's an issue to consider.

> Am I doing something wrong?

*You*?  Who knows?  Is something wrong?  Possibly.

> Is it
> limited to just the windows client?

No.

> When I was evaluating Bacula, I
> was able to do the same backup in 1/10th the time (or at least it
> felt that way since I don’t have hard numbers).

You've got hard numbers above to consider as a comparison and see if they will fit your needs.

> Before giving up on BackupPC and considering an alternative, can
> someone give me some advice?

Yes.  First, you've given us *NOTHING* to go on other than "it's slow".  It's like telling a mechanic "my car doesn't run right."  Of course, you're probably expecting to pay the mechanic, so he's incented to ask lots of questions to figure things out.  I think it's pretty telling that I can't see a single reply to your request.  While your request includes a lot of words, there was almost *NOTHING* of substance in your request except a *VERY* brief description of your hardware.  We have almost no description of what your backups look like (size and number of files, for example), what your backup jobs look like (compression being a very big one), or what your backup server is doing (CPU, memory or disk usage).   And we're not getting paid, so we're not really incented to ask you a lot of questions.  But I'll give you a few:

First, is your system limited in some way?  Are you hitting 100% CPU, or swapping (not enough RAM), or are your disk overloaded, or something else?  Learn to use top and vmstat (or dstat).

Is your infrastructure fundamentally limited in some way?  Have you tried doing a straight-up copy from a target to your backup system to make sure that the underlying infrastructure is capable of delivering what you expect it to?  If you can only get 1-2MB/s copies using SMB, tar, NFS, FTP, etc. , then that's all you'll get with BackupPC, too.  But if you can get 70MB/s copies between the same two systems some other way, then we can expect better of BackupPC.  (But all that does is re-ask the question of what is limiting you.)

From my e-mail, you know what is possible and reasonable to get.  If you're far away from those results, then you need to figure out what is different about your system and causing the slowdown.

The second thing to try is to simplify things.  For me, the first thing I do is disable compression.  In today's multi-core universe, compression is rapidly becoming a bottleneck again.  The compression algorithms in common use today do *not* use multiple cores.  On a system with more than a couple of disks I can easily max out one core with compression.

Or, try to use SMB instead of rsyncd.  I would not suggest that as a final stop (I really like rsyncd for my systems), but it will help you to see if there is a problem with something unique to rsync, rather than fundamentally wrong with your system.

Another option would be to expand your testing from a very small section to something larger:  say, 100GB.  That is big enough to be somewhat representative of the whole, but should be able to complete quickly enough even with compression, encryption, etc. to get some baseline numbers to work with, including both the *first* and *additional* full backups.  That way, you might find that the initial backup will take a week, but each additional backup after that will only take 12 hours and you're OK with that.  Or, you might find that things are still broken, but now it won't cost you a week of your life every time you want to test.

> If it helps, the server is beefy, quad-core i5 proc w/ 4gb ram and 6TB raid5.

Eh.  That's pretty baseline for anything you would call a server today, and an i5 processor screams client-grade, not server grade.  It's not especially beefy, but BackupPC doesn't really require beefy.  See my stats on a really crummy embedded-class CPU and software RAID-6!  :)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com