BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] starting BackupPC evaluation

2014-03-12 09:37:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] starting BackupPC evaluation
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:36:03 -0400
Silver Salonen wrote at about 12:18:47 +0200 on Tuesday, March 11, 2014:
 >    -- Is there still no BackupPC client for Windows?
There is no BackupPC client for Linux, Macs, Androids, Crays, Apple
IIs, TRS-80s or any other computer past or present -- that is because BackupPC
doesn't use any clients (at least not in the classic sense). It's
truly not a bug but a feature...

 >    -- Would [1]http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/ work with 4.0? How
 >    "official" is that client?
Probably not since it's not a client (see above)...
I think you are confused with scripts that run on the client via to
perform various setup operations in advance of using one of the
transport methods..

 >    -- It seems that rsync on Windows is easiest to use through DeltaCopy,
 >    especially for many clients. Am I on correct track on this?
Not necessarily. I find cygwin rsync easy since it's already on all my
windoze machines. Others may find DeltaCopy easier.

 >    -- The only possibility to encrypt files on client is through
 >    Rsyncrypto? I guess this very much eliminates deduplication, but for
 >    individual users/folders it's not a problem. Any other limits that will
 >    become relevant with Rsyncrypto?
You can use file-system level encryption.