BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] starting BackupPC evaluation

2014-03-11 08:47:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] starting BackupPC evaluation
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:29:03 -0400
On 03/11 12:18 , Silver Salonen wrote:
> We are already using Bacula for our servers backups and with that I
> have extensive experience, but unfortunately the laptop/roadwarrior
> support in there is quite limited.

Keep in mind that BackupPC operates on a 'pull' model, where the server
initiates the connection to the clients. This can be kludged to work with
offsite laptops using a VPN, but it ends up being more work than buying a
commercial product like Crashplan. I love BackupPC, and prefer it when the
clients stay on the local network; but there are some applications for which
it may be worthwhile for you to buy a commercial product.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator