BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Documentation on XferLOG

2014-03-12 14:46:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Documentation on XferLOG
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: kpolberg <kpolberg AT kpolberg DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 19:36:03 +0100
Hi,

kpolberg wrote on 2014-03-10 11:32:35 +0100 [[BackupPC-users] Documentation on
XferLOG]:
> I was looking at my XferLOG's and noticed some log lines which I could
> not understand.
>
>   pool     640   500/500      131068 2003.04.12 - Påskeferien/100-0083_IMG.JPG
>   same     640   500/500      108343 2003.04.12 - Påskeferien/100-0084_IMG.JPG
>
> Basically, what is the difference between "pool" and "same" ?

"same" means that it was an rsync backup and the rsync method found that the
file was identical to the same file in the reference backup and created a link
to that.
"pool" means that the file was transferred (possibly as an rsync delta, so
that does not necessarily mean a lot of data has crossed the network) and then
found to exactly match a file already in the pool. A link was created to the
pool file.

I'm not sure what happens when rsync detects an attribute change. My guess
would be that that leads to a "pool". Basically, the effect of linking to the
file in the reference backup vs. linking to the pool file is identical
(assuming the file in the reference backup *is* a link to the pool file, i.e.
that linking works and was working when the reference backup was taken).

> None of these files should have changed since last backup, so I would have
> expected both of them to be "same".

So would I. Then again, my experience is that photos tend to be changed by
viewing programms when you modify EXIF tags, for example (perhaps by adding a
comment, changing orientation ...) - actions that at least I don't remember as
active changes of the photo. Then again, such a modification is unlikely to
yield a file already present in the pool ;-).

You could always restore the file marked "pool" from that backup and from the
reference backup and try to find out what the difference is.

I believe the web GUI also includes a timeline for a directory, where you can
see which files changed when ...

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger