BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] starting BackupPC evaluation

2014-03-11 06:20:26
Subject: [BackupPC-users] starting BackupPC evaluation
From: Silver Salonen <silver.salonen AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:18:47 +0200
Hi.

I am looking for workstation/laptop backup solution for our organization with many offices. My idea is that I'll set up separate box in every office and that box would backup workstations and laptops originating from that office.

We are already using Bacula for our servers backups and with that I have extensive experience, but unfortunately the laptop/roadwarrior support in there is quite limited.
I've done some research on several aspects of BackupPC, but before digging very deep into actual testing, I'd like to confirm my moving direction with you all :)

Here are my questions:

- If we will start testing BackupPC, shall we start with 4.0 (even though it's alpha), so that we wouldn't have any migration pains afterwards?
- Does 4.0 have client-side deduplication? From documentation it seems that " The use of rsync --checksum allows BackupPC to guess a potential match anywhere in the pool, even on a first-time backup" could mean that?
- I see using rsync on Windows as the most reasonable option:
-- Is there still no BackupPC client for Windows?
-- Would http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/ work with 4.0? How "official" is that client?
-- It seems that rsync on Windows is easiest to use through DeltaCopy, especially for many clients. Am I on correct track on this?
-- The only possibility to encrypt files on client is through Rsyncrypto? I guess this very much eliminates deduplication, but for individual users/folders it's not a problem. Any other limits that will become relevant with Rsyncrypto?

I'm very grateful for any feedback on these points.
Thanks in advance!

--
Silver