BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Failing hard at Rsync

2013-11-25 19:23:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Failing hard at Rsync
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 18:22:34 -0600
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM, derr12
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> Chris, i did it the way you suggested and it's now asking for a password when
> i ssh to the client machine.

That means the key is not set up correctly.

> Adam; when I try and run it as the backuppc user i get:
>
>  $ ssh -l root cableweb3.ca whoami
> The authenticity of host 'cableweb3.ca (50.21.229.37)' can't be established.
> RSA key fingerprint is 3e:4c:c3:ac:96:a8:e0:8c:88:93:88:b2:e9:77:11:62.
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Failed to add the host to the list of known hosts
> (/var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/known_hosts).

Does that mean the backuppc user doesn't own
/var/lib/backuppc/.ssh/known_hosts ( or the directory so it can create
it)?

> If it helps, im using ubuntu server 13.10 on the backuppc machine and ubuntu
> server 10.04 on the other.
>
> Also, because the backuppc user had no rights to generate keys at first.  I
> had to add the user to a few groups to actually get that ball rolling.

What does that mean?  The backuppc user should own its own home
directory and the .ssh directory under it.   Some packaged installs
don't give the backuppc user a shell, so you may have to su to root,
then 'su -s /bin/bash - backuppc' to have normal access.