BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Failing hard at Rsync

2013-11-25 18:23:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Failing hard at Rsync
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:22:16 +1100
On 26/11/13 09:57, derr12 wrote:
> Alright maybe you guys can help me figure out why I cant get this right. Im
> following the directions on http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html.
>
> Ive generated a private and public key on both client and backuppc servers.
>
> ive named my public key from the backup PC server thusly;
> cp ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub ~/.ssh/BackupPC_id_rsa.pub
>
> I then copied that file to the client servers root/.ssh folder and added it
> to the autherized keys list.
> touch ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2
> cat BackupPC_id_rsa.pub >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2
>
> Because my backuppc server does not have a dns resolvable hostname, i used
> from="IPADDRESS" in the autherized_keys2 file
>
> After that i copied the clients public key over to /root/.ssh/ on the backup
> server.  added it to known hosts and then fixed permissions.
>

> when i run the backup i get the following xfer log;
>

> Contents of file /var/lib/backuppc/pc/cableweb3.ca/XferLOG.bad.z, modified
> 2013-11-25 14:53:54
>
> full backup started for directory /var/lib/psa/dumps
> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root cableweb3.ca /usr/bin/rsync --server
> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /var/lib/psa/dumps/
> Xfer PIDs are now 27202
> Read EOF: Connection reset by peer
> Tried again: got 0 bytes
> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
> Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)
> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior
> one (got 0 and 0 files versus 0)
>

> Im completely stumped.  Any suggestions?

Make sure the ssh key is available to the user that is running backuppc
(not root).

eg, su -s /bin/bash backuppc
ssh root@clientname id

Make sure clientname is exactly the same as configured in backuppc, from
the above that would be cableweb3.ca

Also make sure you get NOTHING other than "root" on a single line.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au