BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size

2013-10-30 18:06:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 09:04:48 +1100
On 31/10/13 07:51, Holger Parplies wrote:
> Yes, as it's basically an extension of "start off fresh" with the addition of
> "keep old history around in parallel". The notable thing is that you need to
> *make sure* you have eliminated the problem for there to be any point in
> starting over.
>
> Aside from that, I would think it might be worth the effort of determining
> whether all hosts are affected or not (though I can't really see why there
> should be a difference between hosts). If some aren't, you could at least keep
> their history.
I suspect at least some hosts OR some backups are correct, or else OP
wouldn't have anything in the pool. If you find the problem affects all
hosts (the du command discussed previously will tell you that), then you
might want to look at one individual host like this:
du -sm /backup/pool /backup/cpool /backup/pc/host1/*

This should be a *lot* quicker than the previous du command, and also
should show minimal disk usage for each backup for host1. It is quicker
because you are only looking at the set of files for the pool, plus one
host.

PS, at this stage, you may want to look at the recent thread regarding
disk caches, and caching directory entries instead of file contents. It
might help with all the directory based searches you are doing to find
the problem. Long term you may (or not) want to keep the settings.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au