BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size

2013-10-30 21:02:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:00:15 -0400
Holger Parplies wrote at about 16:48:11 +0100 on Wednesday, October 30, 2013:
 > Jeffrey, I think we need a script to check pooling? My (still unfinished)
 > BackupPC_copyPool can generate a (huge) list of files, which can be sort(1)ed
 > by inode number. Parsing that should easily reveal anything not correctly
 > linked in an acceptable time frame (of course *generating* the list takes one
 > traversal of all pool and pc directories, but the rest would be fast enough).
 > Does that help, or have you already got something more suited? Are you
 > interested or should I be? ;-)

I have code that will do this in 2 related ways:

1. Run my routine "BackupPC_copyPcPool.pl" with the "--fixlinks|-f"
   option which will fix missing (or invalid) pc-to-pool links on the
   fly as the routine crawls the pc tree (after creating an in-memory
   hash cache of the pool inodes)

3. Run my routine "BackupPC_copyPcPool.pl" to generate a list of the
   non-zero length, non-linked files (other than backupInfo which is
   the only non-zero length file in the pc tree that should not be
   linked to the pool) which lie in the pc tree. The routine always
   creates this list since these files would need to be transferred
   manually if not linked to the pool.

   Then pipe this list of unlinked files to my routine
   "BackupPc_relinkPcFiles.pl" to fix each of the non-linked files

Note that BackupPC_copyPcPool works by caching the inode numbers of
the pool/cpool entries in a hash which allows for quick lookup and
checking of whether a pc tree file is linked to a valid pool file.

Note that the above methods take care of the cases when pc tree
files are:
         1. Unlinked to anything else (nlinks =1)
         2. Linked to other pc files (but not to the pool)

Note that both methods properly either make a new link in the pool or
delete the existing pc file and link it to a pre-existing pool entry
depending on whether or not a pool entry already exists.