BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size

2013-10-30 11:52:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Craig O'Brien <cobrien AT fishman DOT com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:48:11 +0100
Just to add two things ...

Holger Parplies wrote on 2013-10-30 16:12:02 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk
space used far higher than reported pool size]:
> [...]
> Like Tim, I also wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'm fairly sure you'll find
> large amounts of "BackupPC_link got error -4 when calling MakeFileLink"
> messages in your log files.

That would be the main server log file ($topDir/log/LOG and the rotated older
copies), I guess.

> Also note that at least for *rsync backups* files will be hardlinked to
> identical copies in previous backups even if pooling isn't working.

Since you have just written that you are, in fact, using rsync, I should add
that this will make recovery more difficult, since unchanged files will
continue to be just linked to the version in the reference backup. This file
should normally already be linked to the pool, and BackupPC makes no further
effort to check and fix that.

This means that if you delete all but a few recent backups after fixing the
root cause of the problem, only newly changed files will be added to the pool,
while unchanged files will remain outside the pool. This may or may not be a
problem for you. If it is, you will need to fix pooling for (some) existing
backups, which is Hard(tm) (i.e. costly in terms of CPU power).

Jeffrey, I think we need a script to check pooling? My (still unfinished)
BackupPC_copyPool can generate a (huge) list of files, which can be sort(1)ed
by inode number. Parsing that should easily reveal anything not correctly
linked in an acceptable time frame (of course *generating* the list takes one
traversal of all pool and pc directories, but the rest would be fast enough).
Does that help, or have you already got something more suited? Are you
interested or should I be? ;-)

Regards,
Holger