BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size

2013-10-30 16:54:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:51:27 +0100
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2013-10-30 11:28:26 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk
space used far higher than reported pool size]:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
> wrote:
> >> Also note that at least for *rsync backups* files will be hardlinked to
> >> identical copies in previous backups even if pooling isn't working.
> > [...]
> > This means that if you delete all but a few recent backups after fixing the
> > root cause of the problem, only newly changed files will be added to the
> > pool, while unchanged files will remain outside the pool. This may or may
> > not be a problem for you. If it is, you will need to fix pooling for (some)
> > existing backups, which is Hard(tm) (i.e. costly in terms of CPU power).

I intentionally did not go into detail, because we have not yet confirmed
that this is indeed the problem, and if so, what the requirements of the OP
are.

> If you can free up some space to work, you could try renaming the
> pc/host directories one at a time to hold a copy that you could access
> in an emergency and let it start over with a fresh full run where all
> files would be new and linked to the pool.

Correct, but with an already almost full pool file system you *will* run into
problems, because even unchanged files will now require a new copy. "Some
space" might be a bit of an understatement :).

> [...]
> This should eventually clean things up as long as you don't continue
> to have link errors.

Yes, as it's basically an extension of "start off fresh" with the addition of
"keep old history around in parallel". The notable thing is that you need to
*make sure* you have eliminated the problem for there to be any point in
starting over.

Aside from that, I would think it might be worth the effort of determining
whether all hosts are affected or not (though I can't really see why there
should be a difference between hosts). If some aren't, you could at least keep
their history.

Regards,
Holger