BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size

2013-10-30 11:15:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk space used far higher than reported pool size
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Craig O'Brien <cobrien AT fishman DOT com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 16:12:02 +0100
Hi,

I'll reply here, because I think the issue is visible here.

Craig O'Brien wrote on 2013-10-29 15:30:46 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Disk
space used far higher than reported pool size]:
> The topdir is /var/lib/BackupPC which is a link to /backup

I believe that may be your problem. I'm not sure why, but I vaguely recall
reports of linking problems related to softlinking the pool directory (though
I'm not absolutely sure about the exact circumstances, hence "vaguely
recall" ;-), though *in theory* it should work. I'd always prefer mounting the
partition to /var/lib/backuppc instead of the softlink if you don't have a
*very* good reason for requiring the pool to be mounted elsewhere.

Like Tim, I also wouldn't bet my life on it, but I'm fairly sure you'll find
large amounts of "BackupPC_link got error -4 when calling MakeFileLink"
messages in your log files.

Also note that at least for *rsync backups* files will be hardlinked to
identical copies in previous backups even if pooling isn't working.

Hope that helps, and wish I'd found the time yesterday,

Regards,
Holger