BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] no rrd graphs in version 3.3.0

2013-10-10 12:01:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] no rrd graphs in version 3.3.0
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 17:00:10 +0100
On 2013-10-10 15:10, backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org wrote:
> If Craig does not wish to integrate it into the package (and there may
> be very good reasons not to ...

It would be very nice to know what that reason is. Craig?

The concern about dependencies doesn't apply. The rrdtool patch does
nothing if rrdtool isn't found, so it's not really a dependency at all.

> then why doesn't debian package is it as a separate
> 'extra' package such as 'backuppc-rrdtoo' so that it's status as
> something distinct from upstream is clear.

Because that's not possible - the patch applies to the main code. If it
were an additional file, you could do that, and Debian often does.

It also bothers me that the rrdtool patch isn't upstream. However, as far
as I know Craig has never explained why, nor officially accepted or
rejected the patch. The problem here isn't Debian; it's the opacity of
BackupPC development.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing."