BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] no rrd graphs in version 3.3.0

2013-10-10 04:59:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] no rrd graphs in version 3.3.0
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2013 09:57:36 +0100
On 2013-10-09 15:23, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com> wrote on 10/09/2013 10:15:57 AM:
> I have to say that this drives me nuts.  Why does a downstream provider
> bundle these things together as if they were supposed to be together?
>  Then, when it breaks, BackupPC people are supposed to maintain it?!?

I agree it is annoying for software maintainers. However, it has long been
Debian policy to apply patches to software as part of packaging. Usually
this just sets file install locations, but sometimes it applies patches or
other changes deemed necessary by the package maintainer.

I don't see any reason this patch shouldn't be included upstream, provided
there is a preference to turn it off, and provided that if rrdtool is
absent it simply doesn't display.

In fact, the recent patch to add it to BackupPC 4.0 alpha is even better,
as it adds a more granular set of data.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"There is no 'eastern' and 'western' medicine. There's 'medicine' and
then there's 'stuff that has not been proven to work.'"