BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] RsyncP and --whole-file

2013-09-23 21:53:16
Subject: [BackupPC-users] RsyncP and --whole-file
From: Chris Adamson <chris.adamson AT mcri.edu DOT au>
To: "backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 01:51:27 +0000

I’m using backuppc to backup > 14TB of data on a local machine. I’m using the rsyncd option since tar does not detect deleted files in incrementals. I was trying to see if the –whole-file option in the rsync options avoided the delta xfer algorithm that is not important since it is not transferring over a network. I had a look in the RsyncP code and it ignores the –whole-file option. Could this be implemented in RsyncP since the backup rsync processes are very CPU bound and this slows down backups, particularly full backups.

Chris Adamson.

Dr Chris Adamson
Research Officer, Developmental Imaging, Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Murdoch Childrens Research Institute
Royal Children’s Hospital
Flemington Road, Parkville, Victoria  3052, Australia
www.mcri.edu.au

E   chris.adamson AT mcri.edu DOT au
T   03 9936 6780