BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] RsyncP and --whole-file

2013-09-30 07:34:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] RsyncP and --whole-file
From: Chris Adamson <chris.adamson AT mcri.edu DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:33:03 +0000
The idea of using --whole-file is that rsync behaves like tar and I thought
that I could set --whole-file so that the rsync method would behave like the
tar method and compare byte by byte rather than using checksums. I had a look
both in the rsyncp and BackupPC code (RsyncFileIO.pm). The use of checksums is
intrinsic in the way that the rsync transfer method works. So it uses the full
file MD4 checksums to determine whether a file has changed at all. Whether it
uses the whole file option for transferring changed files is unimportant since
99% of our files don't generally change between fulls. After poking around it
seems that the --whole-file option is specific to the actual rsync tool and the
BackupPC code along with RsyncP send a customized set of commands to the rsync
server. So it appears that not all of the rsync "program" options are
applicable. Maybe we already knew this but yeah this concludes my investigation
of --whole-file. I have attached a patch file that doesn't add the
--ignore-times argument to a full backup. It is based on backuppc 3.2.1.