BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Need advice on XFS and RAID parameters for new BackupPC server with 25 SAS disks

2013-09-13 08:32:26
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Need advice on XFS and RAID parameters for new BackupPC server with 25 SAS disks
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 14:12:10 +0200
Hi there,

next week i'm going to test our newly ordered machine which will
replace our current production backuppc server.

DATADIR of current machine is 5.4 TB with 5.0 TB used and bad
performance due to consumer "green energy" 1.5 TB SATA disks with
low rpm in RAID6 config with ext3 on top.

Current BackupPC machine:

   version 3.2.1
   Pool is 3198.96GB comprising 9361250 files and 3243 directories,
   Pool hashing gives 4590 repeated files with longest chain 87,
   Nightly cleanup removed 254404 files of size 504.06GB,
   Pool file system was recently at 92%, today's max is 92% and
   yesterday's max was 99%.

The newly ordered machine spec is as follows:

   HP Proliant DL370G7 server with 2x Intel X5550
   Quad-Core 2.66 GHz, 96GB RAM
   Smart Array Controller P812 with 1GB FBWC
   External Disk Enclosure HP D2700 connected via one SAS-Link
   to the SA P812 controller
   25x 600GB 2.5" SAS 10k rpm 6G DP disks

Debian Wheezy will be running from SD card inside the server,
all 25 disks will reside inside the disk enclosure.

My preferred RAID config would be RAID6 (HP calls it ADG,
Advanced Data Guard) over 24 disks + one disk as hot spare.

This gives appr. 12 TiB raw storage.

The logical drive the SmartArray controller presents to the
system will be used as an LVM PV with PV metadata size of 1024k.

Only one LV will be created, consuming 100% extends.

My question would be:

   1. What value is recommened as stripe size for the hardware RAID 6?

   2. I always use LVM but it might not be useful in this case.
      Would you recommend using LVM when the whole 12 TiB is used as
      one big filesystem only? It might be useful if i have to add
      another shelf of 25 disks to the system in the future to be
      able to resize the DATADIR FS spanning then 2 enclosures.

   2. Should i use su/sw values for mkfs or stay with the defaults?

I tend to use the 1GB cache on the RAID controller card
as 100% write cache only and mount the XFS FS with

   nobarrier,noatime,inode64

Concern? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

Marcel