BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC "TopDir" To New Larger Hard Drive

2013-07-23 13:45:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC "TopDir" To New Larger Hard Drive
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 12:43:19 -0500
On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Hi,

backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org wrote on 2013-07-23 09:01:09 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC "TopDir" To New Larger Hard Drive]:
> Aaron Cossey wrote at about 14:13:26 +0200 on Tuesday, July 23, 2013:
>  > Sorry but all those pipes are going to slow the transfer
> > needlessly.
>
> While I too use SIGINFO, I doubt the extra pv pipe will slow anything
> down given that disk read/write is by FAR the rate limiting step...

well, yes, but the pipes *do* mean data has to be copied around needlessly,
which does come at *some* cost (possibly CPU load).

My recommendation would be dd_rescue, which shows you progress, handles read
errors, has a less error prone command line syntax ...

I'm sure there are various opinions on this but I just replaced a hard disk in my desktop computer which used LVM and it made things REALLY easy and I didn't even have to reboot nor was the system ever unusable.

If your old drive is not using LVM then you might want to consider it on the new drive.

Quick version of the steps:
1. Hot plug new drive (I love SATA)
2. Create partition table and partition (I used gparted to create a GPT partition table)
3. pvcreate /dev/sd[x]1 (mine was /dev/sdd1)
4. Adding it to the existing volume group (vgextend /dev/sdd1)
5. Moving the data (pvmove /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdd1)
6. After complete removing the old drive from the volume group (vgreduce /dev/sdb1)
7. Unplug old drive.

After that I grew the volume group to the full size (went from 500GB to 1TB drive) and then resize2fs.

Richard