BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC "TopDir" To New Larger Hard Drive

2013-07-22 20:59:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Move BackupPC "TopDir" To New Larger Hard Drive
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 20:57:26 -0400
rblake3 wrote at about 19:54:55 -0400 on Monday, July 22, 2013:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I am trying to move data from a 2TB hard drive to a 3TB drive and am having
 > space issues.  I am using:
 >
 > rsync -aHAXv --delete --progress /mnt/olddrive/ /mnt/newdrive/
 >
 > To copy the data from the old to the new.  I noticed that this process
 > tanked so I ended up running it for individual folders under the specific
 > directories... for example:

This has been covered MANY, MANY, MANY times - check the archives. The
issue is that rsync cannot efficiently sync the highly hard-linked pc
and pool trees.

 >     /mnt/olddrive/backup/pc/abccomputer/
 > /mnt/newdrive/backup/pc/abccomputer/

This is a TERRIBLE idea. It cannot possibly capture the hard links
between the pool and the various pc subdirectories.

 > I have ran this process all weekend (I bash scripted it for all the folders)
 > and then some and I came back to find that my entire hard drive is filled
 > up.  I thought by using the “H” option, it would just keep the hardlink and
 > not have the files in two locations.

The 'H' option can only capture hard links within the (sub)tree you
give it. So by giving it only partial trees you lose all links with
the pool and among different pc's that happen to share the same file.
How can rsync possibly know about links to other trees that you don't
even tell it.

 > What am I missing?  What can I do to efficiently get the data copied from
 > olddrive to newdrive without this problem?

Again, I would suggest the following:
1. Look at the archives to explore answers to this question that has
been asked 100's of times in the past.
2. Understand how hard links works, how BackupPC uses them, and how
'rsync -H' handles them.

You will find more than enough to answer all your questions...