BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New backup server

2013-05-24 16:19:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New backup server
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 15:17:44 -0500
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Erik Hjertén <erik.hjerten AT companion DOT
se> wrote:

> I will look into the DVR type drives, that's a good point
>
> And I read you, loud and clear, that there are a number of questions to be
> answered before one can say that a certain configuration will suffice in any
> given situation. Your reasoning will help me here.
>
> About 8000 files a photos between 5 and 15 MB each, in total around 100 GB.
> This will perhaps explain the slightly size-per-file numbers. There are a
> also few ISO-files around 7 GB, rest is smaller files.
>
> And as you guess, my setup is straightforward, no surprises among your
> questions below.
>
> I think now SATA drives will do the job. I'll look into costs on different
> drives.

A couple of data points - this full backup took 210.5 minutes:

backup    files     size/MB  MB/sec         existing           new
520 full 537752  145666.3   11.53      536992 144715.3 767 964.1
Server is a VM running under ESXi, physical disks are mirrored SAS
2TB.   Not sure what else was running concurrently.

This one took 282.1 minutes:
1383 full 903142 139647.0 8.25 893181 137947.0 10700 1701.5
Server is an old 32-bit box, drives are mirrored 750G SATA.   Nothing
apples to apples at all except overall size is close.  This one was
from a remote site.