BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New backup server

2013-05-24 16:09:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New backup server
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 16:02:26 -0400
Erik Hjertén <erik.hjerten AT companion DOT se> wrote on 05/24/2013 03:40:36 PM:

> Thanks for your thorough reply Timothy.

No problem.  BackupPC (well, all system backup) is a *lot* more complex than people think!

> About 8000 files a photos between 5 and 15 MB each, in total around
> 100 GB. This will perhaps explain the slightly size-per-file
> numbers.

15MB/file is perfectly manageable.

> There are a also few ISO-files around 7 GB, rest is smaller files.

Large files are a hassle to back up.  Period.  *BUT*:  A file that doesn't change doesn't need to be backed up more than once.  So static ISO's are fine.  (Or at least if you change them infrequently.)  What is a *major* issue are large files that change frequently:  daily database dumps, copies of running VM disk images, etc.  Each backup becomes a full backup, and it pretty much destroys pooling.  (Yet *another* thing to understand that I didn't touch on in the original e-mail:  how do your file size *and* usage patters affect pooling?  :)  )

> I think now SATA drives will do the job. I'll look into costs on
> different drives.

Depending on budget, I'd go with these:  http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/sv35/?sku=ST3000VX000

The 3TB drives (what I use) are twice the price of the 1TB, but you can *never* have too much storage!  :)  (But then you get into the decision:  would you be better off with 4 x 1TB than 2 x 3TB for *performance*?  :)  )

(And while I'm thinking of it:  1TB of total space for 500GB of target backup space is... interesting.  I assume you want more than one backup for a time-based history?  (I usually default to between 12 and 16 copies to cover 120 or so days of time.)  Yes, BackupPC has pooling, but I would not want to put in a new solution that has a significant amount less than 50% growth capacity on day one...)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com