BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New backup server

2013-05-24 13:59:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New backup server
From: Erik Hjertén <erik.hjerten AT companion DOT se>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 19:57:43 +0200
Thanks Les.

The majority of the files are actually on our main server so I'm worrying a little bit.

Les Mikesell skrev 2013-05-24 19:39:
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Erik Hjertén
<erik.hjerten AT companion DOT se> wrote:
Hi all

I have invested in a used HP Proliant ML150 G5 server as a new backup server. I have about 500 GB of data in 40 000 files spread over 8 clients to backup. Data doesn't grow fast so I'm aiming at two 1TB disks in a raid 1 configuration.

Do I go with more expensive, but faster (and more reliable?), SAS-disks. Or is cheaper, but slower, S-ATA disks sufficient? I'm guessing that disk speed will be the bottle neck in performance?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I wouldn't expect that scale to be a problem for sata - just be sure
they are suitable for RAID use (the 'green' kind that spin down when
idle can cause problems).    If the 40,000 files are mostly in one
filesystem you might need to worry about speed, but not if they are
distributed and you can skew the days when full runs happen.

Companion Erik Hjertén
erik.hjerten AT companion DOT se
0708-90 55 30

Näsvägen 40, 139 33 Värmdö