BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New backup server

2013-05-24 15:42:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New backup server
From: Erik Hjertén <erik.hjerten AT companion DOT se>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 21:40:36 +0200
Thanks for your thorough reply Timothy.

I will look into the DVR type drives, that's a good point

And I read you, loud and clear, that there are a number of questions to be answered before one can say that a certain configuration will suffice in any given situation. Your reasoning will help me here.

About 8000 files a photos between 5 and 15 MB each, in total around 100 GB. This will perhaps explain the slightly size-per-file numbers. There are a also few ISO-files around 7 GB, rest is smaller files.

And as you guess, my setup is straightforward, no surprises among your questions below.

I think now SATA drives will do the job. I'll look into costs on different drives.

Timothy J Massey skrev 2013-05-24 20:27:
Erik Hjertén <erik.hjerten AT companion DOT se> wrote on 05/24/2013 12:15:22 PM:

> Hi all
>
> I have invested in a used HP Proliant ML150 G5 server as a new
> backup server. I have about 500 GB of data in 40 000 files spread
> over 8 clients to backup. Data doesn't grow fast so I'm aiming at
> two 1TB disks in a raid 1 configuration.
>
> Do I go with more expensive, but faster (and more reliable?), SAS-
> disks. Or is cheaper, but slower, S-ATA disks sufficient? I'm
> guessing that disk speed will be the bottle neck in performance?
>
> Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

What is your backup window?  12 hours?  You could do that with a *single* 7200 RPM SATA drive.  8 hours?  Probably still, but you'd have to do some testing to see.  Less than that?  You're going to need to intimately undertand both your circumstances and the various technologies inside of BackupPC to be able to answer that better.

Frankly, a mirrored array isn't gonna buy you much performance increase.  It won't help write performance at *all*, and I'm not sure you'll need enough read performance to matter:  the high amount of seeking that BackupPC requires doesn't really hep for getting sustained high read performance.

I will take Les' advice (don't use the Green drives) one step farther:  I recommend the drives designed for DVR/Video use.  "Normal" drives (the not-Green drives) are warrantied only for 8x5 usage;  the DVR drives are rated for 24x7 usage.  They're a little more expensive, but not much.

There are other questions you will need to ask that will make as much (if not more) difference than the speed of the drives you'll be using:

* Would more drives (even if they're slower) give you better performance?

* How fast can the *clients* push the data?  If you're limited by them, improving the server won't help?

* What is the speed of the network involved?  Are you talking 100Mb/s or slower?  That will severely limit your performance.  Do you Gigabit everywhere between them?  Are there points in between that might cause problems (like if the clients and server are in *different* switches)?  Can you do bonded Ethernet on the server?

* What technique are you using to back up the files?  Rsync over ssh (with encryption overhead)?  Rsyncd?  tar/SMB (which are much less intelligent in transferring files, but maybe less disk-intensive)?  Will you use compression on the server, and what level of CPU do you have?

* What do your files look like?  40,000 files for 500GB of data is a pretty high size-per-file.  (Contrast with one of my servers, which is 800GB, but 400,000 files: 1/5 the data per file.)  Are your files mostly small (say, under 10kB), mostly average (10k to 10M)?  Do you have any massive files (1GB or larger) to deal with?  Backing up a database server and backing up a mail server require *noticeably* different approaches.

(Believe it or not, even all of *this* is not all that's involved!)

Your question is along the lines of "Which is faster, a bicycle or a dump truck?"  The answer is:  it depends.  Need to move a mountain of sand 50 miles away?  A dump truck.  Delivering urgent letters in Manhattan?  Bicycle!  :)  I know you tried to give us some idea of what you're trying to do (500GB and 40,000 files across 8 clients), but not nearly enough to accurately answer the question.

But keep this in mind:  the numbers that you supplied are what I would consider small and "boring":  a relatively small amount of data and a relatively small number of clients.  The only thing I find interesting is that your 500GB of data is only 40,000 files.  That's a small number of files, so I am curios as to the size of your files.  Other than that small eybrow-raising item, your application is extremely straightforward--assuming that the answer to all of the questions above are the typical answers I would expect in a decent office environment.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com