BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Auto and GUI initiated backups don't work

2012-05-22 04:39:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Auto and GUI initiated backups don't work
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 09:37:31 +0100
On 2012-05-22 02:46, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 13:00 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Do you have a passphrase for the key?   The only difference in your
>> scenarios I can think of is that something might be supplying the
>> passphrase on your behalf when you are logged in and giving the
>> command.   For the scheduled/web invocations you can't have a
>> passphrase.
>
> Yes, the key is protected by a pretty lengthy passphrase.  I'm using
> keychain to manage the ssh-agent process for caching the passphrase.

You won't like this, but:

1. Assume your BackupPC server is secure (and make it so).
2. Remove the passphrase.
3. Don't use ssh-agent.

Now test. If it works, work backward trying to add it again if you want.
You should not assume that the backuppc process has access to the
environment variables that make the agent available. Perhaps use some kind
of static socket in .ssh/config, but I haven't tried.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time;
premature optimization is the root of all evil."