BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Auto and GUI initiated backups don't work

2012-05-21 08:23:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Auto and GUI initiated backups don't work
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 08:22:09 -0400
On 05/19 09:39 , Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> I have the latest BackupPC release running on LinuxMCE (based on kubuntu
> 10.04).  Let me just say I'm a RHEL/CentOS/Fedora user/admin.  I don't
> know the ins and outs of Debian, much less Ubuntu.

I was once that way as well. I got better and it wasn't hard. ;)
In the end, linux OSes are pretty much the same when you get past the
packaging and some layout quirks.

<snip>
> Got remote protocol 1852141647
<snip>
> That seems to be an error caused by an unsuccessful ssh login on the
> remote host.  When I look at the remote's ssh log file after I enabled
> DEBUG2 for the ssh daemon, I can see the BackupPC machine tried to login
> with a SSH key first, then switched to password.  The password obviously
> fails, and thus the remote server kicks out the "backuppc" user.

Can you log in to the remote user with ssh? Try 'ssh -v backuppc@vmhost' and
see if it connects without error. Watch the logs on the remote side and see
what comes up. I wouldn't be surprised if you have an SSH host key change,
or .authorized_keys ownership problem (should be owned by backuppc and
probably not group-writeable), or ~/.ssh permissions problem (I set it 600).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator