BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Auto and GUI initiated backups don't work

2012-05-19 21:40:55
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Auto and GUI initiated backups don't work
From: Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu <m3freak AT thesandhufamily DOT ca>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 21:39:06 -0400
Hi All,

I've got a really weird problem; one which I'm quite sure I've run into
before a very long time ago.  I just can't remember what I did to fix it
before.

I have the latest BackupPC release running on LinuxMCE (based on kubuntu
10.04).  Let me just say I'm a RHEL/CentOS/Fedora user/admin.  I don't
know the ins and outs of Debian, much less Ubuntu.  Anyway, the BackupPC
install was straightforward, as always.

If I kick off a full or incremental backup from the shell (as the
"backupppc" user), the user logs into the remote machine and does a
successful backup.  I can see the results in the web interface for that
host.

If I let BackupPC do a scheduled backup, or I do manual backup from the
web interface, the backups ALWAYS fails.  The error I see in the logs is
this (probably some ugly wrapping):

full backup started for directory /boot
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -vvv -x -l backuppc -t vmhost sudo /usr/bin/rsync
--server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
--times --block-size=2048 --recursive --checksum-seed=32761 --one-file-system
--ignore-times . /boot/
Xfer PIDs are now 26053
Rsync command pid is 26053
Fetching remote protocol
Got remote protocol 1852141647
Fatal error (bad version): OpenSSH_5.3p1 Debian-3ubuntu7, OpenSSL 0.9.8k 25 Mar
2009

Checksum seed is 1598575443
Got checksumSeed 0x5f485353
Sent exclude: /proc
Sent exclude: /dev
Sent exclude: /tmp
Sent exclude: /sys
Read EOF:
Tried again: got 0 bytes
fileListReceive() failed
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (fileListReceive failed)
Backup aborted (fileListReceive failed)
Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior one
(got 0 and 0 files versus 0)

That seems to be an error caused by an unsuccessful ssh login on the
remote host.  When I look at the remote's ssh log file after I enabled
DEBUG2 for the ssh daemon, I can see the BackupPC machine tried to login
with a SSH key first, then switched to password.  The password obviously
fails, and thus the remote server kicks out the "backuppc" user.

I'm using keychain to cache the ssh key's passphrase.

It kind of feels like the apache user, www-data, is trying to read the
BackupPC user's (backuppc) ssh-agent, but is being denied.  Does anyone
know what's going on?

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 3.3.5-2.fc16.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux