BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Auto and GUI initiated backups don't work

2012-05-21 04:04:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Auto and GUI initiated backups don't work
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 09:03:09 +0100
On 2012-05-20 02:39, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> I have the latest BackupPC release running on LinuxMCE (based on kubuntu
> 10.04).  Let me just say I'm a RHEL/CentOS/Fedora user/admin.  I don't
> know the ins and outs of Debian, much less Ubuntu.  Anyway, the BackupPC
> install was straightforward, as always.

You used the package in the Lucid (10.04) repository, correct?

> It kind of feels like the apache user, www-data, is trying to read the
> BackupPC user's (backuppc) ssh-agent, but is being denied.  Does anyone
> know what's going on?

That sound exactly like the problem. Some ideas:

Are you sure that the backuppc user has the necessary keys? Or is it using
your forwarded keys while you are logged in via a terminal?

Is perl-suid installed? That is a hack necessary to let index.cgi be setuid
backuppc (the Linux kernel doesn't respect setuid on interpreted scripts,
but this module lets perl do so).

Alternately, install the backuppc 3.2.1 package directly from Precise
(12.04). I'm running two Lucid servers with that package and it works fine.
It replaces the setuid script with a setuid binary helper that calls the
script.

Get the .deb directly from here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/backuppc

Regards,
Tyler

--
"To have a child is to give fate a hostage."
   -- John F. Kennedy