BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Not getting mail from BackupPC

2012-04-22 15:12:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Not getting mail from BackupPC
From: Norman Goldstein <normvcr AT telus DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:11:37 -0700
I'm sorry if this is appearing as a new thread -- I did not figure
out how to continue a single thread.

I followed Les's suggestion and entered a non-existent
folder and file to backup.  I initiated an immediate incremental
backup.  After it completed, the log showed no errors, and no
email was sent to my account.

Here is the contents of the error log of this last backup:

- - - - - - - -
Contents of file /var/lib/BackupPC//pc/melodic/XferLOG.120.z, modified
2012-04-21 18:04:02 (Extracting only Errors)

incr backup started back to 2012-04-14 20:00:07 (backup #112) for directory /
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l root melodic /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender
--numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times
--block-size=2048 --recursive . /
Xfer PIDs are now 18006
Got remote protocol 30
Negotiated protocol version 28
Sent include: /home
Sent include: /home/disks
Sent include: /home/disks/fat
Sent include: /home/disks/fat/SW
Sent include: /home/disks/fat/SD38
Sent include: /home/norm9
Sent include: /home/norm9/.thunderbird
Sent include: /home/disks/fat/RITE
Sent include: /etc
Sent include: /etc/BackupPC
Sent include: /home/work
Sent include: /home/work/notes
Sent include: /home/norm9/Documents
Sent include: /home/norm9/Documents/cookbook2
Sent include: /home/disks/fat/ScareCrow
Sent include: /home/norm15
Sent include: /home/norm15/DoesNotExist
Sent include: /home/norm15/DoesNotExist/dne.txt
Sent exclude: /*
Sent exclude: /home/*
Sent exclude: /home/disks/*
Sent exclude: /home/disks/fat/*
Sent exclude: /home/norm9/*
Sent exclude: /etc/*
Sent exclude: /home/work/*
Sent exclude: /home/norm9/Documents/*
Sent exclude: /home/norm15/*
Sent exclude: /home/norm15/DoesNotExist/*
Sent exclude: *~
Sent exclude: /home/norm9/.thunderbird/c67zbifx.default/Mail/Local
Folders/Archives*
Sent exclude: /home/norm9/.thunderbird/c67zbifx.default/Mail/pop.gmail.com
Xfer PIDs are now 18006,18167
[ skipped 465 lines ]
Done: 91 files, 576319460 bytes
- - - - - - - - - - -

The folder that does not exist is called DoesNotExist .

Why is DoesNotExist also in the exclude list?

I have never gotten a nightly email about the backup process.

Thank you.

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM, Norman Goldstein<normvcr@...>  wrote:
>  I am not getting status email from BPC.
>  The following two tests work fine from the command
>  line when I am the backuppc user (on Fedora 15):
>
>  ./BackupPC_sendEmail -u norm
>  ./BackupPC_sendEmail -c
>
>  In the first case, I receive a test email from BPC.
>  In the second case, I first shut down the BPC daemon,
>  and I do get a message to that effect.
>
>  So, why am I not getting regular emails from BPC?
>  Here are select fields from my config file:
>
>  EMailNotifyMinDays 0.1

Backuppc doesn't send 'status' email, it only sends notifications of
problems - and I think it only does it during the nightly run.  Has
more time than you specifed elapsed for backups when the nightly run
starts?

If you want an email just to know it is running, I think if you put
some bogus directories in the pc directory it will include that
information in the nightly mail.

     lesmikesell@...