BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming

2012-04-03 18:33:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:32:12 -0500
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
wrote:

> Thank you for that.  That may be a perfectly logical option:  but it's not
> what I've chosen.  (This is a solution that has been in production for 6 or
> more years, and in the direct hands of a couple dozen clients.  Number of
> initializations:  *thousands*.  Number of issues:  ZERO.)

Famous last words???

> There's no way the monkey is gonna get (or want, or even *accept*) console
> access, so "figure out where that brand new drive is this time..." is not an
> option.

Sure it is.  Your script can look at what dmesg just said when the
kernel saw the device.

> I remember the bitter discussions regarding udev and I wondered what the big
> deal was.  I now know...  :(

There's not really a great way to name unknown devices.   I swap disks
around in Centos5 and have the same problem there because there's more
than one hotswap bay and sometimes the earlier positions are filled
and sometimes not.    But, you might work out a quick-fix by getting a
udev rule to nail down the name of your fixed USB boot device so it
won't be in a race for the next-hotswap name.   There would still be a
possibility of conflicts if someone adds more USB drives/controllers,
etc., but if you trust the users enough to wipe a disk just because it
is inserted in the right slot, I guess you could trust them not to
connect another USB drive.