BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming

2012-04-03 19:52:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:24:46 +1000
On 04/04/12 07:48, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> Jim Kyle <jim AT jimkyle DOT com> wrote on 04/03/2012 05:21:29 PM:
>
> > On Tuesday, April 3, 2012, at 3:49:12 PM, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> >
> > > And because sometimes the drive that I insert will be perfectly blank (a
> > > new drive), I can't use something like a drive label: it might not have
> > > one!
> >
> > Don't you have to partition and format the new drive before it can be used?
>
> Sure, and that's what my script does.
>
> > If you do, you could write a "standard" disk label to it at that time, and
> > then use that standard label in the udev rule or even to mount the drive if
> > your version of fstab allows drives to be specified by label.
>
> And how exactly does the script know what device name that drive will use *before* I put that "standard" label on it? I've already shown that the device name the drive gets is quasi-random (race condition), and if the script guesses wrong I wipe out a drive in my RAID array! :)
>
> If I could get Seagate et. al. to put my "standard" disk label on the drive from the factory, I'd be golden. But until they do, I need to make sure that the blank drive *before* initialization shows up in the right place. And if I make that work consistently, then I don't *need* the label! :)

Can't you see that the disk is blank (ie, has no partitions at all) and therefore create the partitions + label/etc... That solves the new, unknown drives problem.

For existing known drives, well, you have already labelled them, so you know how to handle that now :)

In my similar case, I used the UUID from the drive, but then I had a limited set of drives to deal with, and manual intervention to add the new drive UUID (and partition/format the drive, and drop a empty 'flag' file into the partition) was suitable.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev