BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming

2012-04-03 19:08:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming
From: Jim Kyle <jim AT jimkyle DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:41:12 -0500
On Tuesday, April 3, 2012, at 4:48:34 PM, Timothy J Massey wrote:

> And how exactly does the script know what device name that drive will use
> *before* I put that "standard" label on it?

I don't mean the device name such as /dev/sdd but rather the drive label,
such as BAKUPDSK. They're pretty much standard on Windows drive systems,
but Linux distributions based on Debian at least can also maintain them,
and use them just like UUID or device name to identify the drive in the
fstab file.

>>From "man 5 fstab":
        Instead  of giving the device explicitly, one may indicate the (ext2 or
        xfs) filesystem that is to be mounted by its UUID or volume label  (cf.
        e2label(8)  or  xfs_admin(8)),  writing  LABEL=<label>  or UUID=<uuid>,
        e.g.,  `LABEL=Boot'   or   `UUID=3e6be9de-8139-11d1-9106-a43f08d823a6'.
        This  will  make the system more robust: adding or removing a SCSI disk
        changes the disk device name but not the filesystem volume label.

I believe this can be done via gparted, also, so should be easy to
incorporate into your script.

--
Jim Kyle
mailto: jim AT jimkyle DOT com