BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming

2012-04-03 17:49:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming
From: Jim Kyle <jim AT jimkyle DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 16:21:29 -0500
On Tuesday, April 3, 2012, at 3:49:12 PM, Timothy J Massey wrote:

> And because sometimes the drive that I insert will be perfectly blank (a
> new drive), I can't use something like a drive label: it might not have
> one!

Don't you have to partition and format the new drive before it can be used?
If you do, you could write a "standard" disk label to it at that time, and
then use that standard label in the udev rule or even to mount the drive if
your version of fstab allows drives to be specified by label.

--
Jim Kyle
mailto: jim AT jimkyle DOT com