BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming

2012-04-03 18:02:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: udev rule for persistent removable device naming
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 17:48:34 -0400
Jim Kyle <jim AT jimkyle DOT com> wrote on 04/03/2012 05:21:29 PM:

> On Tuesday, April 3, 2012, at 3:49:12 PM, Timothy J Massey wrote:
>
> > And because sometimes the drive that I insert will be perfectly blank (a
> > new drive), I can't use something like a drive label: it might not have
> > one!
>
> Don't you have to partition and format the new drive before it can be used?

Sure, and that's what my script does.

> If you do, you could write a "standard" disk label to it at that time, and
> then use that standard label in the udev rule or even to mount the drive if
> your version of fstab allows drives to be specified by label.

And how exactly does the script know what device name that drive will use *before* I put that "standard" label on it?  I've already shown that the device name the drive gets is quasi-random (race condition), and if the script guesses wrong I wipe out a drive in my RAID array!  :)

If I could get Seagate et. al. to put my "standard" disk label on the drive from the factory, I'd be golden.  But until they do, I need to make sure that the blank drive *before* initialization shows up in the right place.  And if I make that work consistently, then I don't *need* the label!  :)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com