BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Only v0 showing in backup history

2012-04-04 22:09:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Only v0 showing in backup history
From: Daniel Harvey <daniel AT amristar.com DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 01:37:29 +0000
Hi Craig and all,

I've finally done some more investigation into this problem and have
progressed.

By way of background, our backup setup is as follows:
- Linux BackupPC server on ESX
- Backup media on cheap SAN mounted via NFS
- BackupPC directory remounted using bindfs (http://code.google.com/p/bindfs/)
to get the user/group as backuppc

The problem (only v0 showing) is occurring as a result of readdirent (from
IO::Dirent) returning the value 4294967295 for all inodes - DirHistory detects
v0, v1, etc buy looking for updated inodes on the backed up files. The problem
only seems to occur for me only on the bindfs filesystem.

I have attached a test program which I've used to confirm the problem. It
produces output like this:

        root@XXX:/home/XXX# ./test.pl
        Test program

        /bindfs/backuppc/:
        F: . 4294967295
        F: .. 4294967295
        F: cpool 4294967295

        /nfs/backup/backuppc/:
        F: . 3604481
        F: .. 3424257
        F: cpool 3604482

My proposed fix is attached as a patch file. I have extended the section in
dirRead() titled "Make sure the IO::Dirent really works" to include a check for
inodes with the value 4294967295 (-1 in 32-bits) and flag the use of stat() in
place of readdirent().

Comments welcome. For your consideration Craig.

I will also submit an issue with bindfs to query them on this issue.

Cheers,
Daniel