BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive question

2012-03-12 02:15:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive question
From: "Brad Morgan" <b-morgan AT concentric DOT net>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 00:13:28 -0600
>> Why do I have to manually create the /var/lib/backuppc/pc/<archive
>> host> directory?

> That's not where you would normally put the archive copies.  More likely
you would want them to go on another > machine via an NFS mount, or to
separate space where you would move to different media later.

I had to create that directory because I got an error that the archive
parameters file could not be created. The actual archive location is
specified in the config file (which defaults to /tmp).

>> If I setup a weekly archive via cron, will each week's archives add to
>> the existing set because of the increasing backup number? If so,
>> what's the best way to remove the previous archives for each host?

> The 'archive host' concept is mostly to get the web interface to make the
archive copies.
> If you are going to schedule things yourself, just use the
BackupPC_tarCreate command
> line program and handle the output however you want.

I was just following the documentation so I'm using the
BackupPC_archiveStart script.