BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive question

2012-03-12 09:01:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive question
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 07:59:43 -0500
On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Brad Morgan <b-morgan AT concentric DOT net>
wrote:
>>> Why do I have to manually create the /var/lib/backuppc/pc/<archive
>>> host> directory?
>
>> That's not where you would normally put the archive copies.  More likely
> you would want them to go on another > machine via an NFS mount, or to
> separate space where you would move to different media later.
>
> I had to create that directory because I got an error that the archive
> parameters file could not be created. The actual archive location is
> specified in the config file (which defaults to /tmp).

Are you using a distribution-packaged install (.rpm or .deb)?  I
thought the per-host parameters were stored under /etc/backuppc or
/etc/BackupPC, and the necessary directory should be created when you
had the host though the web interface.

>>> If I setup a weekly archive via cron, will each week's archives add to
>>> the existing set because of the increasing backup number? If so,
>>> what's the best way to remove the previous archives for each host?
>
>> The 'archive host' concept is mostly to get the web interface to make the
> archive copies.
>> If you are going to schedule things yourself, just use the
> BackupPC_tarCreate command
>> line program and handle the output however you want.
>
> I was just following the documentation so I'm using the
> BackupPC_archiveStart script.

It works that way, but only to the point of generating the tar image
in the location you specify and with the set of options it knows.  If
you use the command line tool you can pipe through split/compress,
etc. in your own script and send the output wherever you want it.  If
you are going to use cron to schedule something it is probably easier
to handle it all within the same script than letting backuppc's
scheduler do part and then figure out when it is done to do additional
processing of the output files.