BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive question

2012-03-11 21:53:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive question
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 20:51:28 -0500
On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Brad Morgan <b-morgan AT concentric DOT net>
wrote:
> I'm trying to setup offsite backups using the archive feature. My testing
> shows that the backup number is part of the archive file name and that
> generates a couple of questions I couldn't find answers to.
>

> Why do I have to manually create the /var/lib/backuppc/pc/<archive host>
> directory?

That's not where you would normally put the archive copies.  More
likely you would want them to go on another machine via an NFS mount,
or to separate space where you would move to different media later.

> If I setup a weekly archive via cron, will each week's archives add to the
> existing set because of the increasing backup number? If so, what's the best
> way to remove the previous archives for each host?

The 'archive host' concept is mostly to get the web interface to make
the archive copies.  If you are going to schedule things yourself,
just use the BackupPC_tarCreate command line program and handle the
output however you want.