BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: NAS GUI for native Linux (preferably RHEL)

2012-01-16 21:03:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: NAS GUI for native Linux (preferably RHEL)
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 09:02:02 +0700

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote:
"Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com> wrote on 01/12/2012 04:53:49 PM:

> So how about FreeNAS with BackupPC installed?

http://harryd71.blogspot.com/search/label/backuppc

Honest answer?  My prejudice against non-Linux UNIX, especially with something as important as backup.  I don't want to run into subtle issues that won't show themselves until I really, really need those backups...  (That red text right up near the top of your link?  *That* is what I'm talking about...)

Which is why OpenFiler would be such a natural fit, if the current version didn't have serious bugs that haven't been fixed since April, and an upstream base that seems to be going away...

So it seems there isn't a perfect fit; IMO the closest would be Openfiler - and if the newest version (which I haven't even looked at) doesn't suit, the "final legacy" version hasn't IMO had any serious issues, won't be getting and doesn't need any updating, so the rPath issue doesn't really matter, it should just remain stable, just toss a BPC running in a VM on top and you're done.

A more involved alternative would be to "reverse engineer" those components you want from OF and just create a customized distro based on whatever you're most comfortable with, e.g. an automated kickstart of CentOS should serve well, and is a close analogue to the rPath environment anyway.

If the client really needs GUI management of the underlying OS, Ubuntu might be a better fit, or maybe they deserve a windoze server, can VM a BPC host on top of that as well.