BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: NAS GUI for native Linux (preferably RHEL)

2012-01-12 14:28:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: NAS GUI for native Linux (preferably RHEL)
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:17:29 -0500
hansbkk AT gmail DOT com wrote on 01/10/2012 09:11:09 PM:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Chris Parsons <Chris.Parsons AT petrosys.com DOT au
> > wrote:

> Id highly recommend Nexenta. It is much more feature complete than
> Openfiler and linux. Futher to this, with my experiences, BackupPC
> performs much better on Nexenta than it does on linux.

> I'm sure it's solid for those with experience in it, and ZFS is
> great tech, but since Oracle killed its kernel upstream I personally
> wouldn't invest much in Nexenta myself; it hasn't has a new release
> for 15 months now.

You got it:  it's got all of the problems that I have with OpenFiler but worse (no recent releases, uncertain future), and add to it the need to port everything over to it (Solaris != Linux).

And while the tech of ZFS et. al. may be amazing, I do not overly need it with this solution.  I need a way to access lots of raw space remotely.  That's about it.  (OK, block-level dedupe would be really nice.  But not enough.)

> Of course if OpenIndiana gains traction that's another story, but I
> tend to prefer mainstream choices for key infrastructure myself. . .

And given Oracle's current stance in the computer industry ("It's my ball and I'm taking it home!"), I'm not holding my breath.  Any community using OpenSolaris code will be completely on its own, and will diverge from Solaris no matter what.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com