BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: NAS GUI for native Linux (preferably RHEL)

2012-01-12 14:23:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: NAS GUI for native Linux (preferably RHEL)
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 14:11:59 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 01/10/2012 08:12:10 PM:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler AT tolaris DOT com> wrote:
> >
> >> So, my question:  is there a NAS GUI out there that can be added on top of
> >> "standard" Linux (preferably RHEL, but very willing to consider others)
> >> that will add most of these functions?  For example, something like the GUI
> >> for an Iomega NAS would be perfect.  (I thought about using them as the
> >> hardware and software base and adding BackupPC to them, but there's no
> >> built-in removable drive, and USB is awkward and slow.  Plus the Linux
> >> environment is... minimal.)
> >
> > Have you tried webmin? It's not specific to this, but it's about as close
> > to a CLI replacement as a generic Linux server has.
>
> Webmin doesn't really change the concepts much.   You still need to
> know all the details about the applications and their config files,
> although it can help keep you from making stupid syntax errors.    SME
> server makes things simpler by combining concepts.  For example you
> can add  a NIC mac address, an IP address, and a hostname in one
> place, and it will configure the DCHP server to give out the right IP
> to that device and the DNS server to resolve the name.    You can
> create a web/ftp and file share with one name - and create a group for
> users and get both unix permissioning and an email group built.

Exactly.  Webmin is little more than webified configuration files.  You use Firefox instead of ssh, but the process is nearly identical.

For now, Webmin is what I'm using, on top of CentOS 6.2.  But if you've ever used a NAS, you know how *very* far configuring one of those is from Webmin.

Really, all I want is a standard consumer-level NAS, with two additions:

1) BackupPC
2) A built-in removable SATA tray.

#1 means I can't use the stock firmware as-is, and #2 means I can't use the stock hardware.  So, I get the fun of rebuilding a NAS system just so I can stick a removable drive in it and run BackupPC on the same box.

In fact, in the past, we simply sold both a BackupPC server *and* an Iomega NAS to a client.  The problem is, they get less space for both solutions and spend more on the two boxes than if we were to combine them.  So, that's what I'm trying to do...

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com